Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
The adoption of new tenant and leaseholder health and safety compliance policies for fire safety, water hygiene, gas and electrical safety, passenger lists and asbestos.
The proposed policies reflect both the statutory requirements on landlords for tenant and leaseholder health and safety and industry best practice.
The policies are written to reflect the decision of the Cabinet on 17 February 2020 to deliver the council’s tenant and leaseholder services in house and terminate the agreement with east Kent Housing. The new policies will be in place ready for the launch of the new service.
The report proposes that the policies are kept under review to enable a process of continual improvement in performance and recommends a formal policy review every 2 years.
Cabinet agreed the following, to:
1. Adopt the proposed compliance policies as detailed in annexes 1 to 6 to the Cabinet report;
2. Delegate authority to the Head of Housing and Planning, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Housing and Safer Neighbourhoods to make minor operational changes to the policies, as required;
3. Formally review the policies every 2 years.
The adoption of Tenant and Leaseholder Policies is a statutory requirement for social landlords and a requirement of the Regulator for Social Housing.
· Reject the proposed policies: This option was rejected. Although there were already operational arrangements in place for the management of health and safety, the council required formally adopted policies.
· Adopt amended policies: The draft policies had been prepared by specialist health and safety consultants and incorporated legislative and best practice requirements. The implications for both residents and the council of any amendments would need to be carefully considered prior to adoption.
Report author: Bob Porter
Publication date: 19/06/2020
Date of decision: 18/06/2020
Decided at meeting: 18/06/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 27/06/2020