The Theatre Royal project had been approved by central government, with funding due to arrive by the end of September 2022. The Theatre Royal Margate had an allocation of £2M from the Margate Town Deal Project in order to deliver much needed work. The funding would help to unlock other public and private match funding in order to develop a hub of performing arts in Margate.
The following Members spoke under Council Procedure Rule 20.1:
Councillor Pugh proposed, Councillor David Saunders seconded and Cabinet agreed the following:
• Delegated authority was given to the Director of Regeneration in consultation with the Interim Director of Property to market the proposal for the Theatre Royal and 19 Hawley Square in order to identify an operator/commercial partner.
· Authority was provided to the Interim Director of Property and Interim Head of Legal and Monitoring Officer, in Consultation with the Portfolio Holder to negotiate the lease heads of terms and all other ancillary documents.
· The finalised lease heads of terms and relevant ancillary documents to be brought back to Cabinet for final approval.
• Approval was provided to submit an application for a Development Phase Grant to the National Lottery Heritage Fund. Authorising the Director of Regeneration to agree the final submission documents, based on approval from the S151 Officer.
• Approval was provided to commission the urgent works to the Theatre Royal, as set-out in the surveys completed in 2021 funded from Historic England.